Dating from 2637 B.C. when the first cycle of the zodiac was introduced, the Chinese lunar calendar is said to be the longest chronological record in history.
In the Chinese horoscopes, the 5 basic elements, which make up all matter, are combined with the 12 animal signs in the Chinese zodiac signs to form the 60 year Chinese lunar calendar cycle.
The year in which you were born corresponds to the animal for that year, and you are considered to have personality characteristics similar to that particular animal as well as the element of your lunar sign will exercise their influence on your life.
The Chinese Zodiac Signs or Shenxiao
Used to record the years long before written history, the Chinese Zodiac Signs have animals and its related characteristics assigned for each year in a twelve-year cycle on the Chinese calendar.
The 12 animals and some of its positive and negative characteristics in the Chinese Zodiac Signs are
1. Rat: Honest, tenacious, intense, meticulous, charismatic, sensitive yet easily angered
2. Ox: Easygoing, dependable, ambitious, methodical, born leader, nervous and conservative
3. Tiger: Brave, unpredictable, rebellious, colorful, powerful, charming, passionate, daring,
4. Rabbit: gracious, good friend, kind, sensitive, soft-spoken, trusting and sentimental,
5. Dragon: fiery, passionate, decisive, strong, self-assured, proud, noble, and intellectual
6. Snake: deep thinker, wise, mystic, graceful, passionate, sensual, creative, prudent, shrewd, elegant, cautious, responsible, arrogant and resolute
7. Horse: hard-working, cheerful, popular, quick-witted, changeable, agile, magnetic, intelligent, astute, flexible, and open-minded
8. Sheep: righteous, sincere, sympathetic, mild-mannered, observant, ingenious, innovative, creative, yet over-passive, worrier
9. Monkey: competitive, sociable, motivator, improviser, quick-witted, inquisitive, flexible, innovative yet can be egotistical, vain, arrogant and selfish
10.Rooster: perfectionist, alert, zealous, neat, meticulous, organized, yet can be over zealous and critical
11. Dog: honest, intelligent, straightforward, loyal, sense of justice and fair play, yet can be cynical, lazy, cold and judgmental
12.Pig: honest, gallant, sturdy, sociable, peace-loving, patient, loyal, yet can be naïve, over-reliant, self-indulgent, and irritable
The 5 Elements or Wu Xing
Also named the Five Movements, Five Phrases or Five Steps, the 5 elements in daily life were regarded as the foundation of everything in the universe and natural phenomena, with its own characters and which can generate or destroy one other.
According to ancient Chinese people, they believed that the world was created in those five elements. And those five elements have a very complicated interactive relationship.
The 5 Elements and their Characteristics are:
1.Metal, or jin – Righteousness, symbolizes the life span, longevity or abortion, foretelling any penalties, dangers, difficulties, intuition and dead end. It shows emotions of melancholy and romance.
2.Wood, or mu – Benevolence, represents the fate, sensitivity, lowliness or nobleness, representing extractive, luxuriant, brilliant, blooming, flourishing etc. Wood person is said to be expansive, outgoing and socially conscious.
3.Water, or shui – Wisdom, represents the talent, sage or fool, representing aptitude, brightness, agile mind, spontaneity and accuracy
4.Fire, or huo – Propriety, pronounces creativity, strength or softness, representing power, influence, bravery and intense as well as passionate, impatient and ebullient by nature.
5.Earth, or tu – Fidelity/Honesty, pronounces the status, rich or poor, representing the birth and growth and clarity of everything.
The 5 Elements are calculated by your birth year, month, day and time (precisely in hours).
Shenxiao and Wuxing Integration
There is a relationship between Wuxing and Shenxiao. Each of the 12 Shenxiao signs belongs to its main Wu Xing attribution and then are tempered by each of the Wu Xing.
The 5 Wuxing Attribution of the 12 Shenxiao Signs
Each of the 12 Chinese Zodiac Signs (Shenxiao) has their own Wu Xing attributions namely:
- Rat: Water
- Ox: Earth
- Tiger: Wood
- Hare: Wood
- Dragon: Earth
- Snake: Fire
- Horse: Fire
- Ram: Earth
- Monkey: Metal
- Rooster: Metal
- Dog: Earth
- Pig: Water