Moon signs are the moving cycle in the horoscopes that govern the emotional, sympathetic and compassionate side of our personality.
In combination with your Sun sign, your Moon sign can help provide a detailed insight into your inner self, helping you to understand what you need to feel whole and complete.
The next most planetary placement in a person’s horoscope chart, the moon sign changes the way the moon expresses itself on a person’s chart, which depend upon the astrological signs that it falls in. It has an effect on us all on an emotional level and as it moves through the astrological signs, all of us feel its effect.
On an esoteric level, the moon is:
- Feminine - shy moody, receptive, week, fearful, and introspective
- Watery - concerned with emotions and feelings
- Cardinal will not be held under the thumb and initiates business
- also desires success, represents women, the mother, maternal instincts or the urge to nurture, and, in mundane astrology, ‘the common people’
- the ruling planet of Cancer
- said to represent the feeling nature of the individual in Western astrology
- represents memory’s feelings, instinctive and responses, lying just below the level of consciousness
- associated with a person’s emotional make-up, unconscious habits, rhythms, memories and moods
- used to characterize the inner child within us, as well as the past and how we have been as individuals rather than how we are now
12 Zodiac Moon Signs
There are also twelve Zodiac moon signs and these can be divided into four groups: air, fire, earth and water.
- Air – Gemini, Libra and Aquarius. The astrological moon signs of Gemini, Libra and Aquarius are considered to be a little different from the Sun signs as they deal with the emotions and feelings of a person.
- Gemini Moon. People with this moon become avid talkers to get their feelings, ideas and stories known to other people. For those born under this moon sign, you have an instinct for words and other forms of communication.
- Libra Moon. People with this moon enjoy surrounding themselves with beauty, and are easily disturbed by vulgarity, conflict, and coarseness. People born under this astrological moon sign have a deep instinct for refinement, justice, and fairness, preferring to do things with other people, as they prefer to be accepted, to please and appease.
- Aquarius Moon. According to Joanna Martine Woolfolk, people with this moon can balance their emotions and intellect very well, thinking first then verbalizing to come to a good understanding.
Fire – Aries, Leo and Sagittarius. This astrological moon sign tend to have its own way of reacting to their feelings when the moon is in the fire sign.
- Aries Moon. People with this moon have a feeling of being nurtured when they express their emotions in a direct and impulsive way. They tend to be very self assured and sure of their own actions.
- Leo Moon. People with this moon tend to enjoy being the center of attention and recognition as they are made to like to seek attention. They also tend to dramatize and express themselves in a creative way.
- Sagittarius Moon. People with this moon tend to have a deep desire for freedom and space in relationships.
Earth – Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn.
- Taurus Moon. People with this moon value stability and security in their lives, so they tend to try to defuse unwelcome situations.
- Virgo Moon. People with this moon find security in routine, order, and details, so they tend to be good organizers.
- Capricorn Moon. People with this moon are high-achievers, with a strong need to control emotions and keep their feelings to themselves, making this the most complicated sign of all.
Water – Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces.
- Cancer Moon. People with this moon tend to feel their emotions deeply and view the world through feelings instead of intellect.
- Scorpio Moon. People with this moon tend to have intense feelings and strong passions that they tend to hold resentment for a lifetime if their emotions are not released.
- Pisces Moon. People with this moon have caring, tremendous compassion and tenderness and helps other people in need.